Sunday 11 October 2009

traditional Tunisian scarves

I arrived in Monastir, Tunisia Airport in the middle of the night (thanks to Thomson fly delay due to a ridiculous staff shortage). My friend Samira was waiting for me at the airport with her family. We got out of the airport and then I saw this, the most beautiful, Tunisian, mystical woman.. My first exclamation to Samira was "what a beautiful mum you have!" We had another 2.5 hours to get to Zaghouan where Samira and her family lives. One evening, Samira showed me the point in her village that, when she was a child, she thought the earth finished.. and it was true.. this was exactly how I felt.. I felt like there is nothing beyond that point, because the world feels flat. This is how northern Africa felt to me. When I was a child, all the times I read history books saying that in old times people believed that earth is like a tray: flat, I remember myself thinking 'come on they must have been idiots to believe that!' But no! in Tunisia, this is how you feel: the earth is flat like a tray... and you and people in your village are the only people surviving in this world, cos this is your world!
Interestingly, I met Samira in a completely different part of the world, in South Korea! This feels amazing, that little girl who thought 'the world stops over there' made her way to Korea! I made my way there as well, but I was well-aware of the fact that there are many different civilisations and countries and I wanted to discover them all.. But I find what that courageous girl did amazing!
Another thing showing the globalised world we are living in nowadays is this:
I saw many Zaghouan women wearing very bright coloured scarves (like the green one that Samira's mum is wearing on the photo), and I thought it is a traditional scarf and I wanted to buy many of them for myself as well. When we went to Tunis (1.5 hours away from Zaghouan) and when we asked the shopkeepers where we can find the scarf, they said that the scarf is not Tunisian, it's Egyptian.. and we couldn't find any.. on the day that I left, Samira's lovely family came up with three different colours of that scarf: green, red and white.. and gave me as a pressie.. and on the scarves I read: made in Japan :)







No comments:

Post a Comment